Friday, March 29, 2013

Andy Warhol Inspired Shirt

Andy Warhol inspired my latest creation, and it came about thanks to Project Run & Play.  At first I didn't think I was going to sew along this week, but when the inspiration hit, I just had to do it!  The theme for this week was to make something that was inspired by art, and I immediately thought of Andy Wahol's piece of art called "Marilyn Monroe," which he did in 1967.





Andy Warhol, "Marilyn Monroe" (1967)



I love the bright colors of this artwork, and I think it conveys a feeling of fun.  Summer weather is already here for us, and my little girl needs some cooler shirts to wear in the heat.  I thought this would be perfect. Tunics are great for warm weather, and I remembered that I saw on tutorial on Elegance & Elephants for how to make a Breezy Tunic.  I didn't follow the tutorial exactly, I really only used the method for how to make the tunic shape and edge it with my own bias tape.  If you need a tunic for a little girl, you should check out the tutorial, it's great! I'm definitely going to use it to make some more in the future!

When I looked through my fabric stash and mending pile, I found some leftover fabric from old Halloween costumes, and some old T-shirts that hadn't been worn for a while. So I made my pattern piece out of construction paper and started cutting. I used a different color of fabric for each front quadrant of the shirt to imitate the art, and sewed them together to make the full front panel.  I then cut a little heart out of construction paper, and traced it onto the leftover fabric from each quadrant.  After cutting them out, each fabric heart was then sewn onto the quadrant diagonal from its matching fabric.



After they were all sewn down, I did some top-stitching across the front panel to give it a more finished look.  I then sewed the front panel to the back panel at the sides and the top parts of the straps.



After the front was connected to the back, I started edging the tunic with a yellow bias tape I made from the hem of the yellow T-shirt the yellow fabric came from.




I then attached a hammer-on snap to the back of the tunic, and it was done!



My little girlie was very happy with the bright colors, so we went outside with some shades for a photo shoot!





Both my girlie and I are really happy with how this tunic turned out, and it will be a great addition to her summer wardrobe.  Now she's ready for some fun in the sun!


  photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg

6 comments:

  1. It looks so comfy! And super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping someone would choose Warhol! Love what you did with it and the shirt is a perfect fit!
    -liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always worried the fit will be off, but this worked out really well. :)

      Delete